Wednesday 25 April 2012

TALK TO ME! LCF MA SPECIAL - KAY KWOK


To be honest I don't really know how to introduce Kay Kwok. We know each other from Hong Kong and I followed him after his HK graduation and kept watching him when he did some competition in HK (I was a magazine reporter at the same time.). I looked forward to this collection at the first day we landed London and I am very pleased he did a really great job! This Egypt inspired collection got loads of 'retweets' on the Weibo (Chinese twitter). I am sure you want to know more about this Hong Kong guy and it's the time for you to explore him yourself.




Tell us about your background, why did you apply LCF for a MA course?
I am from Hong Kong and I won the Hong Kong Design Talent Award upon graduating from the Hong Kong Polytechnic University in 2009 and was nominated for the Top 15 Asian Fashion Designers (in the student category) by WGSN. Actually I have never thought of studying here before I made it. The reason for apply LCF is because of coincidence and peer influence. When I was in Hong Kong my friends who studied in the same university with me asked me to apply the interview of LCF with them, finally we all got offer. That’s how I started my study life in London.

How do you describe your own style? What is the must-have in your wardrobe?
It depends on the occasion but Street fashion is my main style. Deep blue Jeans – must have.

How do you describe your fashion aesthetic?
Combination of classic and innovative style.
I would like to use classic shape with playful, delicate material plus thoughtful idea.

What is your opinion of being a successful fashion designer?
Nothing is gonna make you step back if you have Passion, Persistence, Dream, Originality.

Can you tell me more about your collection? Is there any difficulty during the design process?
The collection is inspired by the Ancient Egyptian culture about mummy and celestial space, the relation between the process of mummy erosion and Solar, Lunar & Stellar system of Ancient Egyptian’s constellation. I combined the ideas to create prints by playing shades, light and flame aiming to pushing digital printing into a new boundary with the twist of classic menswear tailoring. Printed Neoprene fabric is widely used on the collection because of its fleshy hand-feel.
The difficulties for me in this collection is time management. I always felt there was not enough time for me to work my collection out.Besides, I kept changing my mind for the collection is another problem. I always thought that I could do better and a bit easy to feel bored for my collection. So I kept changing until the day I couldn't change. I think that made the lack of time working on the collection.

There are many emerging designers in the industry. Is there anyone that you really want to collaborate or work with?
Oh it is a big question that I have never thought of. um..if I got the chance, I wanna collaborate with Viktor & Rolf. I like them.

As a LCF graduate, do you have any advice for other fashion students?
Enjoy doing design and be passionate. Be yourself but don’t be too persistent. Always open to everything. Stay positive to support, motivate yourself doing great design. LCF is a good place with positive study environment.

What is your next plan after graduate?
I will apply for job to gain some work experience but my final goal in London is to have my own brand. It doesn’t have to be very big. I just want a brand to express my view to fashion and attract the people who got the same taste with me. And I probably will join some competitions. I love competition. They are a chance to learn from others.







To know more about Kay, please visit his LCF page

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...