Sunday 18 March 2012

TALK TO ME! LCF MA SPECIAL - JOSEPH TURVEY


Joseph Turvey is quite different to the MA designers who I interviewed with. He is a local student and worked as an illustrator for some fashion publications before graduate. Although he didn't win the overall menswear award, he is the first graduate designer to join the LFW runway this year. I love Joseph's collection because of the wearability and the bold print which is adapted from his illustrations. His collection is what fun-loving boys wear daily and I think I can be one of them if I am in those pink outfits! The knitwear is my favourite in the collection and I don't think I have to mention how great the illustrations are.



Tell us about your background, why did you apply LCF for a MA course?
I finished my Ba in womenswear and felt I still had a lot to learn. LCF has such a renowned reputation for menswear and highly manufactured garment construction I felt this would be the place for me to learn those skills.

How do you describe your own style? What is the must-have in your wardrobe?
I'm not really very stylish. I love colorful socks... I think that is my must-have.

How do you describe your fashion aesthetic?
I think my design aesthetic is clean shapes with a fun twist. The key thing for me is to maintain wearability while still being creative.

What is your opinion of being a successful fashion designer?
I think the key to being a successful designer is being business minded. You can have all the press in the world but if no one is buying your collections its just a very self indulgent and costly hobby.

Can you tell me more about your collection? Is there any difficulty during the design process?
I wanted my collection to be wearable yet maintain originality. There are too many students coming out of education that create stunning designs that are completely unwearable. I had a hard time convincing tutors and friends that my design style of less is more was valid but I think they might be coming round to the idea now.

As a LCF graduate, do you have any advice for other fashion students?
Don't spend all your money. Go out there and find companies that are more than happy to support young designers. You would be surprised just how many there are.

What is your next plan after graduate?
I would like to continue to show collections. Just want to wait and see if there is a demand for that.








To know more about Joseph, please visit his webiste

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...