Monday 17 October 2011

MY PICK - JUNGEUN LEE


I first met Jungeun Lee in the exhibition of Vauxhall Fashion Scout during the LFW. Her 3-dimensional designs drew lots of attention and most of the visitors were so interested in how she make her clothes without any seams. As a London based Korean designer, Jungeun is from Royal College of Art with a MA Mixed Media Course in the textiles department. Her collection Nuue (cocoon in Korean translation) which is inspired by wrapping garments, was one of the most interesting collection in the showroom.


Giving up the traditional process of making garments by cutting fabrics into different patterns, Junguen designs garments by wrapping synthetic fibre around wooden mannequin and board and moulded with heat and pressure. I believe these sculptural shapes make Junguen stands out in the industry but the idea behind the collection is what I like most. Junguen aims at transferring fibre to garments directly but not through fibre to fabric, from fabric to garment. She believes her technique save the wastage of material of the garment making process. 






I showed some of my friends the photos of Jungeun's collection before I write this blog and they all think her work is only about concept but nothing with wearable element. I am quite upset when I hear the feedback from them since I can imagine how this technique develops in the future. We can have tailor made special collection or maybe a couture line? or maybe a accessories range?






Jungeun is a part of Studio Koya.
To know more about Jungeun, please visit Studio Koya website

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...