Tuesday 19 July 2011

TALK TO ME! LCF GRADUATES SPECIAL - CHARLOTTE BARRY


As a LCF surface textiles student, Charlotte Barry concentrates on the embroideries and prints of the garments. Starting with clean silhouettes, Charlotte adapted different embroidery skills to very simple shapes. The tone on tone colour palette just makes me focus on the structure of the garments. I would say it totally is a precise collection also with luxury elements.


As a new member in the industry, what do you think about the fashion world? 
I think the fashion world is misunderstood by many - it is very easy to see the glamour and parties, but as a member of the industry I am aware of the incredible creativity and innovation, and hard work that goes on.

How do you describe your style? 
My design style focuses on intricate and detailed textile development to classic silhouettes with a twist

What is your opinion of being a successful fashion designer? 
To be successful you have to really love what you do. Which sounds like a cliche, but I really believe it.

Who is your favourite designer? Does he/she inspire you when you do your own designs?
I have many favourite designers! They change from season to season. I love the quirky British brands such as Mulberry, Paul Smith and Burberry. I think they have a great sense of quality and beautiful design.

Can you tell me more about the collection? Which is the iconic piece in the collection and which one is your favourite? 
The collection is based around the idea of 'perfect ruin', taken from Pompeii and Herculaneum, and is all about intense and elaborate textiles and colour. I dont think there is an 'iconic' piece as such - each one has its own unique use of textiles, but I love them all! The pieces with the pleated fabric are so much fun to wear!

There are many new and up-coming designers in the industry. Is there anyone that you really appreciate?
I love all the designers that work with Fashion East. They are so different and all so talented. It would be my dream to join their ranks.

As a LCF graduate, do you have any advice for other fashion students? 
Listen to your tutors! They are a treasure trove of information, help, and funny anecdotes.
What is your next plan now? Are you building your own label? 
For now I am hopefully going to be working at a luxury label in London for the summer, and then maybe go on to do an MA.















To know more about Charlotte or to contact her, please visit her LCF website.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...