Friday 15 July 2011

TALK TO ME! LCF GRADUATES SPECIAL - AUDREY HU


I am very sure the first impression is the most important in the fashion world. I don't believe a great collection has to be totally innovative but there should be some  key elements to bring your collection out. The head piece of Audrey's collection is very memorable for me and it makes this interview happen!



As a new member in the industry, what do you think about the fashion world? 
It's so exciting, everything is being invented, reinterpreted and clashed everyday. When you are in it, It's like a magical bubble gum, you chew up all these different elements, inspirations and emotions, then the result is a magnificent marvel . You see people create all these different personas, it's fun and you get to be part of it. but there are also a lot of hard work, late nights and tears as well. makes me appreciate it even more.

How do you describe your style?
Despite the good old days dressed in crazy Bernard Willhelm, I am favoring simpler and cleaner silhouettes with layering and statement jewelries nowadays.

What is your opinion of being a successful fashion designer?
Make something so ahead of people's current taste, and they will adapt.
Also you have to be independent. It is so crucial to know what is a good advice or opinion and what is not. Especially when you are a graduate, so many advices can make you make a false move. Stick up for your decisions.

Who is your favourite designer? Does he/she inspire you when you do your own designs? 
I have a few. and they are all different styles. but I can see bit of everyone in my designs.
Ricardo Tisci for Givenchy. He puts so much thought into every pieces, it's super edgy, eerily melancholic but so beautifully refined. I can relate to his religious reference, it's got so much conflict, love and hate, every moral codes, nothing is black and white.
I love Kenzo, cause it's so much fun and has a lot of old craft and techniques, which my collection was heavily influenced by. And the impactable simplicity of Damir Doma.

Can you tell me more about the collection? Which is the iconic piece in the collection and which one is your favourite? 
My latest collection for autumn/winter was inspired by the concept of counter-conformity. Small Trades Workwear meets the ritual adornment of West African Masquerade. Initially began with an interest in exploring and excavations. I was intrigued by how the explorers defines their "ritual" to traverse for the purpose of discovery, encounter and interact with the alien environment, then survive, morph and evolve. Here is where Western Masqueraders tap in. Originally the ritual wear was a decorative approach towards of collection. Aesthetically it breaks up the consistency of utility wear's minimal lines and silhouette. Although initially researching masquerade as a contrasting element to the utility wear, it became increasingly more apparent there were similar characteristics, in terms of tradition and functionality, psychologically and socially.

The iconic piece is the sleeveless orange suede gilet with the tufting apron.
but my favorite one is my paneled leather skirt with draping washed silk and the basket weave masquerade knit jumper and the willow kneepads.

There are many new and up-coming designers in the industry. Is there anyone that you really appreciate?
Graeme Armour and Michael Van der Ham.
and Nicomede Talavera from CSM. He is sooooo amazingly talented!

As a LCF graduate, do you have any advice for other fashion students? 
Have the courage to really be yourself. It's a lot easier than living up to be someone else.

What is your next plan now? Are you building your own label? 
My plan is to find a proper assistant designer position at the moment. However, the reality is I probably have to intern for the next 6 months to get my foot in for a possible permanent position. and then I will definitely apply a MA. I d love to set up my own label in a few years time. I ll keep my fingers crossed.
















Besides the colours of the collection, my favourite part of the collection is the mixture of all the garments. The combination of the hard and soft fabrics and the mixture of simple and complex are very special for me.

To know more about Audrey or to contact her, please visit her LCF website.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...