Wednesday 22 June 2011

TALK TO ME! LCF GRADUATES SPECIAL - JAEHO CHOI


As the second issue, I found a Korean designer, Jaeho Choi. Although Jaeho just graduated from London College of Fashion, he has work with some fashion photographers and fashion designer, J.W. Anderson as an assistant. His graduate collection is about minimalist arts. Using monotone and straight lines to show the basic of the garments, Jaeho really get his own way.



As a new member in the industry, what do you think about the fashion world? 
I am not a person who is crazy about fashion and I am not interested in fashion trend too. I wouldn’t much care about fashion world unless fashion causes bad things. Fashion world looks fine as everyone in fashion world is doing well. Ah! Fashion world became too big. I don’t like this.

How do you describe your style? 
I like minimalism style but with a strong unique point. For me, there is not the style called ‘my style’. It could be any style from minimalism to crazy look with lots of details and decoration. It depends on concept. But I want my design to have a message and reflect what I am thinking about things such as life and death of our lives, and history and philosophy, and social problems in this world.

What is your opinion of being a successful fashion designer?
Talent and luck.

Who is your favourite designer? Does he/she inspire you when you do your own designs? 
Raf Simons, Ann Demeulemesster, Helmut Lang and Maison Martin Margiela, and more.
I am trying not to get inspired by anyone’s work, but as long as I am a human, I might have been influenced by them.

Can you tell me more about the collection? Which is the iconic piece in the collection and which one is your favourite? 
I combined two garments retaining their own details. I want them to look simple and monotonous as I got inspired by Minimalist art, and it is the reason why I used all white and cream tone of colour. I also hided all the buttons, and used belts instead. So, all the garments have at least one belt.

I don’t have a particular iconic piece, but I like the outfit 2, which the centre front line moves to left, and outfit 6, which has a suit on coat, with curved line.

There are many new and up-coming designers in the industry. Is there anyone that you really appreciate?
Not yet, but there will be many in the future.

As a LCF graduate, do you have any advice for other fashion students? 
I don’t think I am in the position to give them advice, and they would not need my advice.
I just want them to do as they believe.

What is your next plan now? Are you building your own label? 
I am planning to have my show with my own label, or work in a company. It depends on my situation.














I believe Jaeho's collection is one of the sparkling points in the LCF show. Since the show is full of colours, it's always impressive when you see a full collection in mono colour. I really love the way he create his garments which is without colours and patterns. He just displays all his strength in this fundamental way. The bags are another reason that I love the collection. I really look forward to the launching day of Jaeho's label!!

To know more about Jaeho or to contact him, please visit his LCF website

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...